Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Presenting For The American Cancer Society!



    So, Today Is Going To Be Most Memorable!


         So, today I will be presenting on behalf of the American Cancer Society at my University. Attending will be many Fraternities and Greek RSO's ( Registered Student Organization's ). I will actually have another partner there with me, and she will be touching on a couple topics separate of my own. Smoking, tanning, and my story of survival are my key focuses for the presentation...There should be about 150+ people there to include some media coverage, so I'm told by our host. The event will be held in the auditorium, and my thoughts are this...although I'm a tad nervous....

                                                         "It's Nothing I Haven't Done Before!"

"I Must Dislocate My Thoughts of Pain To Pleasure!!"     "I Want It To Be Impacting"!

 "It's Important To Carry A Smile!!"                "More Important To Show Passion!"

                                                  "I Don't Care What They Think of Me!"
   
           "Kawasaki! Let The Good Times Roll!"                                     "Git R Done!"   

                                         " I Have A Inner Flame That I Need To Express"


        Though I have many more, I can say that positive thoughts are the only way to express myself because it's not about thinking of embarrassment out there. It's about thinking of the impact your going to cloak your audience with. Touching the hearts and minds of many.  Suading your audience to be future leaders in amongst themselves....I have one more though..." All I can do is try". What's wrong with that?  Hence, dislocating pain from pleasure.

       These feelings also reflect how I would feel in an interview! I mean let's get realistic, you would only have one chance at one. Deep inside I feel it's important that I have two "selves". Reason being, I can get mad at the other for not exuding passion, feeling, and pride. I fought my inner craving to be the best I could be.  I should meditate like Master Yoda right? Well, luckily for me I've had some recent help in my presentations.  The VA internship was a very large contributor to my confidence in public speaking. I can remember the shallow feelings within me that posed some hindrance to some of my outward expression. I was questioning my abilities, and the thoughts of my audience. I was associating Pain to public speaking, but in reality I knew deep inside that I thought of it as Pleasure. In my head I literally see one arm labeled as Pleasure, and the other Pain.

       Before my presentations, I look to the sky welcoming the Man above and laugh. I further rip my arm of Pain off. Weird right?!?! Well, I LOL when I think about it, and before you know it, I'm reflecting a positive influence on stage becuase to me it's comical, but a switch telling my mind I have to go big or go home!!! hahaha :)

       I had a stand up comedian that shared with me his thouhts before he goes on stage. " I picture myself standing near a raging river, and there are people there on the side waving their hands, smiling and ready to go for the fun ride. I pull up on my raft and in an excited voice I say, who wants to go with me?!?" He tells me that he envisions his audience ( those on the side of the river ) jumping in the raft with him. He smiles enthusiastically, and sets forth the journey. 

       What does this have to do with PA's, or getting accepted. My thought is I can use the same strategy to excel in an interview. Let's be realistic here, it's obvious I'm going to be a 2nd year applicant, thus an underdog. What better way to bark at the panel when my time comes! If I can be true in front of 150, then what's stopping me from doing so in front of 5-7 panelist?!?!


" Life is about dancing in the rain"

No comments:

Post a Comment