Tuesday, February 21, 2012

My Interview Superbowl Update!!!

BOOM!



         Sorry for the delay on the update of my interview.   I must say though, that I'm super excited about how it unfolded. I took a nice 8 hr drive to a program in Ohio, and brought with me plenty of ammo to knock down the interview.  I walked out of the place feeling like a million bucks. Let's go into how it began...:)

         "I walked into the lobby of the 4th floor, and seen I was there early, with only one other applicant sitting in a sofa chair. I greeted her and we sat talking about the weather. "


         "Next thing you know there are 8 of us sitting in the lobby and we all spoke about hobbies we were into, and where we came from. Utah was the longest adventurer."


         "Then the PA advisor came in to greet us, as well as the Director, they gave us the green light, and it was GAME ON!!!"


        "We went into a conference room that was pleasantly decorated, and as my luck always speaks for itself I was the 1st of 3 individual interviews."


        "As it turns out they never had 6 males in there interview group before, but I was ready to rumble, and as I sat down with my female interviewer she was in my eyes a very nice,  and well spoken women, and placed me at ease. You know what the 1st question was?!? hahaha you could guess!! WHY DO YOU WANT TO BE A PA! Imagin that! Of course I crushed that question!"


        "She asked me about clinical experience and what hobbies I enjoyed. It was a very relaxing experience, and we never did stop speaking until the clock ran out, I surfed down the hall to the second individual interview. This gentleman was a doctor in the university, and came off as a reserved individual. He asked me where I started, and I thought of it as a very open question...haha, so I told him about how I first picked up an interest in the PA occupation to how I further became dedicated. Like a timeline approach.  I emphasized how I chose credentials that would further my abilities as a PA student, and the experiences I've had that would fortify my acceleration throughout the program. "


        "He then asked why their program?! I was ready for this, and I began to speak about the program in it's infancy, an how they have a director who has been committed to the program since then, about the diversity of their staff, about the financial possibilities such as grants and scholarships that are available, and more. I found all of the information on their website, and this was part of intensive preparation that really showed outwardly to this interviewer, or so I felt."


         "I even used an investigator strategy, and learned a little about each facility member so I could ask them questions about there interests. It takes them off guard because I would ask them something specific in their background before they even told us about themselves.  I was thinking that this is going to leave an impression. After all, I'm fighting for 4.5 students just for one seat in the program. They are accepting 40 students this year, and their interviews are running in upwards of 180. So divide 40 into 180 and you get how many students your fighting against for a seat! Competetive!

         So if anyone has questions just let me know, and I'll give my best input. There is a lot more to my interview, but I feel like I could write a novel or a short story. Actually I think that would productive actually. We also had a group interview, and which consisted of a quesion and answer session. It was enjoyable overall, and the best advice that I can give is to be up to date on current events in the PA occupation. I asked the interviewing PA's about health care reform, and how that is going to impact the proffesion. I spoke about the recent Hospice Care Access Act, and how she felt about the first PA to be inducted into congress. There is ample firepower out there to set yourself apart from other applicants during an interview. Do your absolute best to do so by gaining knowledge about the profession! To your success, I will catch you all on the flip side!




" I told them not to measure me by my academic potential, because invested in me isn't potential energy, it's kinetic, an accelerated force to become a PA-C!"


       


         

No comments:

Post a Comment